Search This Blog

11 December 2011

Labyrinths: Part 3

Research - Stories - Photos

“Calm”… “Centered” … “Less anxious”… “Re-energized” … “Less stressed” … “More open” … “Peaceful” … “Quiet” … “More focused”… “Relaxed” … “More reflective” … “Creative.”

In his, “Commonly Reported Effects of Labyrinth Walking,” (2006, 2007), John W. Rhodes, Ph.D. cites the above responses from respondents. In addition, the “Bibliography of Articles and Studies Related to Labyrinth Research” posted on the Research page of the Labyrinth Society’s Website (www.thelabyrinthsociety.org) cites nearly 50 articles and studies related to the growing field of labyrinth research.

Elementary school psychologist and author of "Kids on the Path" (2008), Marge McCarthy, shares, “Walking the labyrinth allows for creativity and intuition to flower. Studies have shown that people are better able to connect with the right side of the brain after walking the labyrinth, which helps them think more clearly and creatively. It has been reported that children do better if they walk the labyrinth before taking an exam. Walking is not always momentous, but it always seems to have a positive effect. Sometimes walking the labyrinth is just an enjoyable experience!”


Friends on a walk in Mrs. C.'s backyard labyrinth
And, from my own personal experience facilitating labyrinth work with children at King Elementary School in Des Moines last April and May, I was deeply moved by these comments shared by children just after a first labyrinth walk:

  • “I felt like my grandma was with me while I was walking, but she’s really in Mexico.” -third grade girl
  • “I was thinking about my brother in prison.” -fourth grade boy
  • “I was happy and my heart jumping up and down.” -third grade boy
  • “I was slowing down.” -fifth grade boy
  • “Can you find out where you can get one of these things, so I can have one at my house?” -fifth grade boy
 In this full to the brim season of so many wonderful experiences for our children, perhaps a labyrinth walk might be a fun and centering “date night” for you and your child, or, for yourself on the way to or from a last minute shopping excursion!  Check out this local opportunity for an indoor labyrinth walk and holiday stress-busting breath:

December 15, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m., Come and go as you wish!
THE NEW! Franklin Public Library, 5000 Franklin Ave. Des Moines, 50310
(Free and open to the public.  This is not a Pied Piper Studios' event.)

-Posted by Linda Christensen (a.k.a. Mrs. C.)
 

No comments: