Search This Blog

17 February 2013

Presidential Mac n' Cheese


I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes.  My mom made this for me when I was a child.  I introduced my husband to it when we were dating, and he swears it’s better than the box now.  We made it tonight, but unfortunately it’s not one of our daughter's favorites yet.  Hopefully, it will be just a matter of time.  My mom says she found it in one of her magazines and it comes from President Reagan.  I’ve also thought about throwing in some veggies to increase the nutritional value.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!


 Macaroni and Cheese


2 Cups dry macaroni 
1 tsp. butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 Cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup milk



Boil the macaroni in water until tender; drain thoroughly.  Stir in butter and egg.  Mix salt and mustard with 1 Tbs hot water and add to milk.  Add cheese to macaroni, reserving enough to sprinkle on top.  Pour macaroni mixture into buttered casserole.  Pour milk over macaroni; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is crusty (the best part!).

-Posted by Miss Karin



No comments: